Whenever we talk about lotions, potions and skincare it is considered women’s field of interest…
Should it be so???
Men in general have thicker skin so ages more slowly in comparison to female but still needs caring to keep it looking young and fresh. If using the bar soap in your shower is the only skin routine you have, think again, for a younger looking skin is an asset. Bar soaps generally strip your skin of natural oils making it dull and lifeless.
We really do not need an hour to keep the skin looking healthy. A skin appropriate face wash, sun protection in the morning and a skin appropriate moisturizer is all that is required. Rest assured it takes only ten minutes morning and evening to do so that’s like 1% out of your 24 hour day.
There are numerous advantages of a basic skin-care routine:
- Healthy skin is always younger looking, advantageous in your career and social life.
- Shaving is easier and closer without irritation and ingrown hair. Always shave after the shower as the pores are open and you get a smoother and closer shave.
- Less prone too adult acne.
Before investing in your products it is important to determine and know your skin type.
- Oily skin is generally shiny with enlarged pores and many blackheads and acne. Due the over buildup of oil the skin feels heavy and clogged even if you are not active. Most men with oily skin feel no need to moisturize and believe in washing a few times a day to fight the overproduction of oil but are unsuccessful still. What we don’t understand is that every time we wash and do not compensate for the lost oil, the skin produces more to compensate without knowing how much. Light gel based moisturizes are best suited for oily skin. Face wash with salicylic acid twice a day followed by the moisturizer. This simple routine will help in minimizing the over production of uncontrolled oil. Gentle exfoliants twice a week helps to keep the pores clean and prevents the buildup which causes blackheads and acne. Clay mask followed by exfoliation will also help in the absorption of excess oil. It is always important to use a mineral based Sun protection 30 throughout the year. Choose a sunblock that gives both UVB and UVA protection.
- Dry skin generally looks rough and dull. Dry skin is more prone to broken capillaries or redness, sun or age spots and dry flaky patches. The pores appear tight and small. Acne or blackheads are rare but not totally absent. Lack of natural oils makes this type of skin more prone to early wrinkles and aging. Creamy and more emollient moisturizers are recommended for dry skin. Exfoliants are recommended for use only once a week followed by a hydrating mask. Minimum of SPF 45 is advised throughout the year.
- Combination skin is oily on the T-zone which is the forehead and nose and dries on the cheeks and chin. It is bit of a challenge to care for such a skin. A light cleanser gel based cleanser will balance the oils and keep the skin feeling fresh. A bit heavier moisturizer during the winters and lighter in the summers is the key to keeping this skin happy. An SPF of 30 is ideal throughout the year. Use of gentle exfoliants with natural beads is recommended twice a year followed by a hydrating mask.
- Sensitive skin is in-between any of the above mentioned skins and may look inflamed irritated with persistent redness and sensitivity to most fragrant skin care products. This type of skin needs products with hyaluronic acid to keep the skin hydrated and supple. Gentle enzyme masks every other week help to keep the skin exfoliated and calm. A good mineral based sun protection wit SPF 45 or more is very important throughout the year. Sensitive skin is more prone to developing skin conditions like rosacea over time.
- Acne prone skin, oily skin is generally considered more prone to acne but it is not true always. Genetics play an important role in determining if one may or may not get acne in one’s lifetime, there are other factors too that contribute to the occurrence of acne. Stress, personal hygiene, food habits, etc also contribute to it. Acne can be managed but not cured in most cases.
Along with a good skin routine drinking plenty of water eating fresh fruits and vegetables go a long way in maintaining good skin health in general. Sun is the number one culprit that causes the premature aging and breakdown of collagen. Vitamin C is the natural precursor to the production and maintains the collagen so always include citrus fruits in your diet.