What are peptides?
Peptides are short chains of Amino Acids that are the building blocks of specialized ingredients with
huge clinical research. Collagen, Elastin, Keratin are some of the common examples of such proteins.
Peptides play an integral part in skins healing process.
There are hundreds of peptides, only 20 have been coded in human DNA known to be used as
When were they introduced in skincare industry?
Synthetic peptides were first introduced in 1990. It was not until 2000 when Sederma launched
Matrixyl (Palmitoyl pentapeptide-3) that peptides were launched in cosmetic formulations. This was
the huge breakthrough in cosmetic field as Peptides replaced topical animal collagen and elastin.
Palmitoyl pentapeptide-3 is a synthetic peptide shown to stimulate type 1 &3 Collagen along with
Matrixyl was first introduced by Dr. Karl Lintner, Ph.D. Dr. Lintner joined SEDERMA, worlds leading
company in developing innovative cosmetic ingredients in 1990. He is now part of the Scientific team
at AlumierMD. His most recent innovation has been the introduction of Matrixyl synthe 6 one of the
key ingredients in Everactive C&E from AlumierMD. Matrixyl synthe 6 is derived from a tripeptide
naturally found in collagen and laminins. It helps to strength skin and improve elasticity, reducing the
appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
What are the main functions of Peptides?
• The primary function of most peptides is signalling. This means to bio chemical message from
place A to place B and effect an action there.
• Help in daily biological activities.
Regulation of blood sugar (insulin)
BP regulation (angiotensin)
Lactation & birthing (oxytocin)
Pain reduction (endorphins)
Free Radical scavenging (glutathione)
• Peptides combine together to form proteins performing various functions. Structural proteins
such as Collagen, Elastin and fibronectin are important for building tissues. Enzymes are very
specific proteins, which catalyze biochemical reactions. The transport proteins such as
haemoglobin act as a carrier for oxygen throughout our body. The functional proteins include
antibodies, cytokines and coagulants.
• Neuropeptides have a similar effect as Botox, as they prevent the formation of wrinkles by
blocking the cell communication.
• Action driven peptides include lightening peptides, anti-inflammatory peptides and
antimicrobial peptides to address skin.
How are Peptides delivered in skincare?
All the buzzz about peptides is worthless if proper care is not taken for the delivery of peptides.
Stratum corneum or the outer layer of our skin is a lipophyllic barrier (made of oils), peptides on the
other hand are charged and hydrophilic (water loving)…..this is a huge issue for skin penetration.
Peptides thus require assistance to travel into the skin. It is the delivery method used by the skincare
that makes is effective or ineffective. That is where medical grade ingredients make the difference.
Common peptide to know….
1. Copper Peptide is an antioxidant that is involved in the synthesis of Collagen. It also helps in
wound healing. Recovery Balm from AlumierMD is great for after care and intensely
2. Matrixyl synthé 6 is a tripeptide that stimulates the synthesis of 6 major constituents of the
skin, including synthesis of Colagen 1,3 and 4, hyaluronic acid, fibronectin strengthens the skin
and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Some of our hero products include EverActive C&E,
Ultimate Boost Serum, Retinol 0.25% -1%, HydraLight, HydraDew and AluminEye.
3. TetraPeptide-14 helps with the reduction in redness associated with Rosacea and sensitive
skin. Included in some of our products, Calm R, HydraCalm, Ultimate Boost Serum,
Intellibright Serum, Eventone Brightening Serum, HydraDew and HydraLight.
4. Oligopeptide-10 is an anti- microbial peptide derived from plant amino acids that works
synergistically with salicylic acid to decrease the signs of acne. It reduces the proliferation of
5. C. Acne Bacteria. Acne clarifying cleanser, Acne balancing serum, HydraClarite and
HydraSmooth are some of our acne fighting products.
B-white as the name suggests decreases the melanin synthesis preventing pigmentation.
Eventone brightening serum
6. Haloxyl under eye dark circles are caused by the accumulation of haemoglobin and its coloured
degradation. Haloxyl helps in the clearance of these elements. AlumierMD AluminEye
contains this powerful peptide for visible reduction in under eye discolouration.
7. Eyeliss is a combination of two peptides that help to reduce puffiness and dark circles by
improving lymphatic drainage and strengthening capillaries to reduce leakage. AlumierMD
AluminEye contains is a powerful eye cream with both Haloxyl and Eyeliss peptides.
8. Acetyl dipeptide helps to diminish micro-contractions by relaxing the muscles, thus delaying
the appearance and deepening of lines and wrinkles. Clayton Shagal’s Idratense and
Nutrisublime creams are the powerhouse of this peptide.
We agree it’s a lot to understand and take in ? , we believe that healthy skin starts with knowing
what’s best for your skin. We all know about angel dusting of these powerful ingredients in skincare
found at drug stores and convenience stores. Let your skin be an investment rather than an ongoing
experiment. We will help you tailor your skin needs through the years. Yes, the skin needs change as
we progress through the years and through different seasons.
Peptides….the buzzzz in skincare
Friday, August 21, 2020 12:25 PM